Yad Shel Chai
Carrying on tradition and supporting our sacred community
The Men's Club of Temple Beth Ahm Yisrael is sponsoring the Yad Shel Chai program to encourage young congregants to become Torah readers. The Torah is central to our beliefs and practices in Judaism. It illuminates God's message and guides us on the right path. Those who can read Torah aloud in temple enable the entire congregation to share this mitzvah. Learning to read Torah requires dedication and discipline to master the melodies (trope) and techniques for reading directly from the sacred scroll. Not everyone who tries will succeed. Only a select group of people with the love and devotion to Torah will achieve this goal.
Having the ability to read Torah for our congregation is truly a reward unto itself. For those who are successful, the Men's Club will provide special recognition by awarding each a Yad (pointer) at the annual Men's Club Shabbat. This silver Yad is personalized with the reader's name proudly displayed in the middle of the handle. The base of the handle bears the official seal of the Federation of Jewish Men's Club. Earning one of these Yads may not be easy, but it will distinguish you with special honors in the Jewish sacred community around the world.
The YAD Shel Chai program is open to ANY member of Temple Beth Ahm Yisrael or ANY student in our Religious School.
How does it work?
- A participant must read from 18 weekly portions to achieve the program goal.
- Upon registration, a participant will be interviewed and paired up with a Torah Reader Mentor.
- The Mentor will obtain parshiot assignments for the participant and arrange mutually convenient times to meet and practice.
- The mentor will record each parasha reading completed by their protégé and inform the Men's Club Secretary when an award is imminent.
What are the rules?
- Readings must be chanted at Temple Beth Ahm Yisrael.
- Readings may be chanted on Shabbat, Yom Tov or Weekday Minyanim. However, repeating the same parasha in a given week will not be counted separately.
- There is no time limit. A participant may begin the program at any time and finish at any time. Awards will be presented annually at the Men's Club Shabbat service to those completing the program.
How to get started?
- Read about this program and the guidelines for it
- If you are under the age of 18, discuss participating in this program with your parents to get their permission
- Print and Complete the registration form and drop it off in the Temple office
- You will be contacted when your application has been reviewed and registered